The Greg Biffle Fan Forum has merged with The Race Garage.
Greg Biffle Fan Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:54:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Greg Wins at KS

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Martinsville ~ Subway 500

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Martinsville ~ Subway 500  (Read 78 times)
Darnell99Fan
Global Moderator
PR Manager

Forum Mother

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2007, 07:27:57 pm »

~Race2Win

Subway 500 - Ricky Rudd Notes

RICKY RUDD, COMBOS® RACING

MARTINSVILLE SPEEDWAY
OCTOBER 21, 2007

RUDD TRAVELS HOME TO VIRGINIA AND HOPES TO RACE SUNDAY AT MARTINSVILLE

CHARLOTTE, NC (October 16, 2007) – The NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series travels to Martinsville Speedway this weekend for the Subway 500. Martinsville Speedway is one of the most physically demanding tracks on the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series circuit. The 0.526-mile “paperclip”-shaped speedway forces drivers to do a lot of work in the car since drivers must focus on braking into the tight turns. Ricky Rudd will travel to his home state of Virginia with the hopes of racing in Sunday’s Subway 500. Rudd sustained a separated shoulder at California Speedway and was forced to sit out for five weeks as he recovered. Rudd returned to the driver’s seat of the #88 Ford at Charlotte for the Bank of America 500, and hopes that the physical demands of practicing at Martinsville Speedway won’t be painful enough on his shoulder to keep him out of the driver’s seat for Sunday’s race. This weekend Rudd will be driving the #88 Combos Ford Fusion instead of the Snickers paint scheme he normally drives.

Quoting Combos Driver, Ricky Rudd:

How is your shoulder feeling after this past weekend and what are your plans for Martinsville?
“As far as this weekend is concerned, I won’t really know my status with my shoulder until we get to Martinsville and I have the chance to practice. I really didn’t have any issues in Charlotte this past weekend. I had some pain and soreness, but it wasn’t anything that I couldn’t deal with. Going to Martinsville this weekend, it’s a more aggressive race track and I don’t want to get into the situation where we have to change drivers in the middle of the race because I know we’d end up falling behind about two or three laps if we did so. So my plan for this weekend is to go to Martinsville, practice, and if my shoulder feels good, then I will continue on to qualify and race the #88 Combos Ford.”

What is it about Martinsville Speedway that makes it such a physically demanding track on drivers? “You get a lot of brake load at Martinsville which means that you get pushed into your seat while you’re in the car. Drivers are just very busy in the car there as well. You have to use your leg a lot with all the times a driver has to use the brakes and you can equate that to leg lifts and the feeling of having weights at the end of them. When you go to Martinsville and have 500 laps to run there, it is just a track that wears you down physically. I think that part of it has to do with how hot you get inside of the cars and just all the moving around you have to do in order to stay in control of your car during the race.”

After a solid finish at Charlotte last weekend, how confident are you going into Martinsville this weekend?
“Martinsville is a great track and I really enjoy racing there. I’ve been fortunate enough to have won three times at Martinsville and we had one of our best runs this season when we were there earlier in the year. I feel very confident with our crew chief Cully Barraclaugh because he has done an excellent job on sorting through information we have on the car’s performance. Cully does a great job communicating with me on race day when we have to tweak the car and I just really enjoy working with him so far.”

NOTES OF INTEREST:

Martinsville Speedway is 225 miles from Rudd’s hometown of Chesapeake, VA
Rudd has 54 starts at Martinsville, which is the most starts of any active NEXTEL Cup Series driver, and is second-most on the list of all-time NEXTEL Cup Series drivers
Rudd has an average starting position of 11.0, and an average finish of 14.9 at Martinsville
Rudd has completed 24,383 of 26,856 laps at Martinsville (90.8 percent) and has led 1,571 laps
Rudd earned his best Martinsville starting position from the pole four times during his career:1981,1982, 1983, and 1988
Rudd as won at Martinsville three times throughout his career: 1983, 1986, and 1988
Rudd has an average driver rating at Charlotte of 94.3 which ranks him seventh on the list of active NEXTEL Cup Series drivers at Martinsville Speedway heading into this weekend’s race

ABOUT MARS US:
Mars US is the United States food, snack and pet care operations of Mars, Incorporated, one of the world's leading food manufacturers. With more than $7 billion in annual sales in the U.S., the combined food, snack and pet care segments are a symbol of excellence for quality brands. Headquartered in Hackettstown, New Jersey, Mars US employs more than 9,000 associates in the United States, with 52 facilities nationwide. The company owns some of the world's favorite brands, including M&M'S® Brand, SNICKERS® Brand, UNCLE BEN'S® Brand, PEDIGREE® Brand Food for Dogs, and WHISKAS® Brand Food for Cats.

CHASSIS #720
Chassis #720 is the chassis the #88 Combos Racing team will be running this weekend for the Subway 500. This is the same Car of Tomorrow chassis the team raced earlier in the season at New Hampshire for the Sylvania 300.

Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum