The Greg Biffle Fan Forum has merged with The Race Garage.
Greg Biffle Fan Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:12:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Nov. 18 GBFF will merge with The Race Garage Be sure to register

http://www.theracegarage.com/home/

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Rooster Returns Part 2

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rooster Returns Part 2  (Read 209 times)
Highflying9916
Administrator
Crew Chief

Future Nextel Cup Driver

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2007, 04:22:32 pm »

Ricky Rudd has been cleared by doctors to return to the No. 88 Ford this weekend at Lowe's Motor Speedway, the veteran driver told ESPN.com on Monday.

Rudd separated his left shoulder and was briefly knocked unconscious during a crash Labor Day weekend at California Speedway. It was his 900th career Nextel Cup Series start.

"The plan right now is to race this weekend," Rudd said. "I have to get a release from NASCAR, but the doctor said there's no reason why I couldn't race this week.

"There are a couple of technicalities, more of a formality than anything -- liability issues and things like that. The doctor has to give an official word to NASCAR, and he said that will happen."

Rudd missed five races while rehabbing the injured left shoulder. The hardest part, he said, was the unknown. He knew he wanted to race, but didn't know when, or even if, that would happen.

"I always wanted to come back, but didn't know much about a separated shoulder," Rudd said. "I've broken bones before, done that, so you kind of know what to expect. But with the separated shoulder, my left arm was useless for a while.

"What's that mean? One week? Six weeks? And doctors aren't real clear about it. They don't tell you it'll take so many days to heal. I never did actually hear a time frame. The unknowns were hard."

In all, though, the experience wasn't unbearable. In fact, it proved quite educational. Rudd learned a lot, was able to nose around the garage and see how teams prepared differently and how cars were built differently.

The experience "wasn't really hard on me," he said. "It was a pretty physical deal and it hurt. It's like anything -- you can take it easy or get aggressive. These guys were aggressive. I will say this -- it's made tremendous improvement.

"The most awkward thing was going to the track and not climbing in the car, being at the event and doing everything normal, but not getting in the car. You wonder what to do with yourself, like, 'now what?' "

Rudd admitted he'd have had a much tougher time coping had he been in championship contention.

"It's not like we were a championship contender team and got knocked out," he said. "We're 30-something in points. There's never a good time to get hurt, but if we were top-10 material and were running for wins, it'd be a whole lot harder."

~http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=3054484 ~
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

roushbiff6
Future Heavy-Duty Mechanic
Global Moderator
Spotter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 01:04:16 am »

I'm glad he's back!

Highflying9916
Administrator
Crew Chief

Future Nextel Cup Driver

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 11:11:28 am »

Yep always hate to see racers last season go like his ha Sad

Jeni
Vote for Helio ~~ Penske Power rocks the dance floor
Global Moderator
Grease Monkey

Forum Mother

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 01:35:33 am »

'da Rooster was awesome last night and it made me smile seeing him kick butt & take names up there.  Stupid ESPN/ABC, all they talked about was Hendrick and I'm like, hello, Ricky Rudd is running up front, talk about him for once.  Roll Eyes

~ If you don't believe, then you don't belong ~ Alan Kulwicki ~ 1992 NASCAR Winston Cup Champion

~ Put your head down and go for it ~ Greg Moore
Highflying9916
Administrator
Crew Chief

Future Nextel Cup Driver

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 10:55:38 am »

Yeah he done really good  Smiley

Darnell99Fan
Global Moderator
PR Manager

Forum Mother

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 12:33:03 pm »

~Nascar.com

Rudd has strong return as shoulder still tries to mend

Veteran undecided on racing at Martinsville next week

By Ron Lemasters, NASCAR.COM
October 15, 2007
11:27 AM EDT

-CONCORD, N.C. -- He was sore, and he was working with Cully Barraclough for the first time, but Ricky Rudd came home with a solid finish in his return from a separated shoulder that happened over the Labor Day weekend at California.

Rudd earned an 11th-place finish in the Bank of America 500 on Saturday night at Lowe's Motor Speedway, and it might have been even better had it not been for the red flag on Lap 324.

"We ran out of gas when we got the green flag," Rudd said after the race. "I stood in the gas and it was buh-buh-buh-buh-buh. I pulled over to the inside and then it took off again."

"I knew it was hurting, but on a scale of 1 to 10 it wasn't like something that you couldn't bear it. It was just like a bad headache."
RICKY RUDDLike many other drivers, including winner Jeff Gordon, Rudd's car acted as if it was out of gas after sitting in Turn 3 for more than 12 minutes during cleanup from Jeff Green's blown engine. The car's engine "heat-soaks" the components under the hood, and the fuel system is vulnerable to vapor lock.

"They were saying, 'There's no problem on fuel; you don't need to worry about running on the flat like everybody else.' They said we were good on fuel, but we weren't, so that's really frustrating," Rudd said.

"We were seventh and we would have at least been seventh or moved to fifth."

Still, Rudd's 11th-place showing was a good one for Robert Yates Racing, which now has five races left before it becomes Yates Racing, under the guidance of Robert's son Doug.

It is the second-best result Rudd has had this year; he was seventh in the Coca-Cola 600 here in May, and 11th at Infineon Raceway in June.

Rudd, who will retire at the end of the season, also has five races left in his career, if he is able to race at Martinsville next weekend.

"As far as my shoulder, it's a little sore," Rudd said. "I knew it was hurting, but on a scale of 1 to 10 it wasn't like something that you couldn't bear it. It was just like a bad headache."

Rudd said he needed some time to figure out if Martinsville was a go or not.

"I'll know more about it when I wake up [Sunday] and go back to rehab therapy [on Monday]," he said. "Right now, this [Lowe's] is different than Martinsville. I'll have to work it a whole lot more. It's gonna have to get in a little better shape. I don't want to start Martinsville and get out at halfway because you just lose too much time.

"Right now, I'm probably a little better than 50-50 for Martinsville."

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum